Thursday, February 18, 2010

Life


The movie “Life” starring Eddie Murphy (Ray) and Martin Lawrence (Claude) really took me by surprise. When I first selected this movie in class to complete my review on, I was told that the two characters were imprisoned for 65 years. When I think of imprisonment for such a long period of time, I definitely do not foresee it the way this movie depicted it.

The daily life in prison for Ray and Claude is actually somewhat enjoyable, and their accommodations are fairly respectable. They get to enjoy sporting activities together and with other inmates, along with barbeques and other festivities. Viewers get a sense that they are living in mild luxury because when something bad actually does happen, or they receive punishment, the movie fast forwards to several years later.
Ray and Claude were both unjustly arrested for killing Clarence William III while bootlegging in Mississippi. The movie serves as an example that many innocent people do receive punishment for charges that don’t even pertain to them, but at the same time, shines a light upon the unfairness. Somehow, even though the two men were forced to live the remainder of their lives in jail, they found a way to get through it together.

As far as the classification of this film, I can understand how it is classified as a comedy, however not once did I find myself laughing hysterically. At the start of the movie, with the introduction of Ray’s dream of ‘Rays Boom Boom Room,’ viewers could sense the kind of relationship Claude and Ray were going to endure throughout the movie. A mildly, humorous yet ridiculous bond that somehow lasted over the decades to follow.
Mostly I would grin at the bickering of the two men as they tried to find another escape from prison, or simply in their everyday conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment