Thursday, January 21, 2010

Feelings on Completing a Rough Draft


Since this is the first revision of a rough draft I've had to complete in a college English course, understandably I ran into a few difficulties. When writing my analysis for the first time, I believe I was somewhat uncertain of what was expected of me. My first draft was short and very in depth.
When I received Mrs. Barker’s analysis of my text, I got a much better understanding of what she expected. Her side notes and suggestions helped me to reconstruct my paragraphs successfully to compose a much better summary. Against what I originally thought, the verbs located in “They Say, I Say” really did assist me in the revision process. Not only did they make my essay stronger, they added emphasis on the different points Caroline Kennedy was trying to get across to the readers.
Another difficulty I found while doing the summary was picking out what specific information I deemed important for readers of my writing to be familiar with. If I didn’t provide the appropriate messages from the original essay, viewers wouldn’t receive a fair understanding of what “A President like My Father” is all about. In order to solve this, I carefully reread the passage a couple of times highlighting key points as I read. Next, I reread the highlighted points, bolding what I thought was most important. Finally I took the bold information and incorporated it in my final draft.
Before printing my new draft, I proof read the information and felt much better about my new summary.

2 comments:

  1. My draft was also short because I didn't know what was expected of me. I was a little confused, but as soon as I read other peoples drafts I then knew what was expected of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was confused also, and wasnt quit sure how to write it, it did help to read others papers.

    ReplyDelete