Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti


No matter what channel you’re on or which radio station you’re listening to, the topic of Haiti is bound to appear. Countless numbers of Haitians have been lost due to the tragedy of an earthquake, and are in major need of all the help they can get.
Homes, schools, hospitals, towns, and families have been shattered. As you’ve most probably already heard, burials are by the hundreds. Government dump trucks have been dumping the bodies without the ability for proper burial or identification.
In the midst of all this mayhem, I feel the Haitians are showing inspiring amounts of strength. Even though the majority of them have lost nearly everything, they are reaching out to help one another everyday. As an American, thousands of miles away, I’ll admit I automatically feel sorry and put the label “poor” on Haiti whenever I participate in a conversation over the tragedy. However, I feel they would rather us not view them as poor at a time like this, but rather admire their patience and faith in overcoming this disaster.
I think all that we are trying to do for the Haitians right now is wonderful and hope the support our troops are presenting gets the job done. Medical assistance will be needed over there for quite awhile. Food, clothing, and water will also be of great need. I feel everyone who can offer any help, big or small, should do so. Millions of fund have already been raised, but millions more will be needed to restore the country.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your closing paragraph! I feel as though what we're doing about the earthquake is wonderful! It's always nice to show our love and support to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thoughts on how you think we should not feel sorry for them, but proud of how they are carrying themselves through this tragedy. It is true, they are doing a good job at keeping their heads held high in such a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you talked about how they carry themselves through the tragedy. I agry with just about everything you had to say about it.

    ReplyDelete